Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Record a Week: Nothing but Funk Vol. 3 (11 James Brown Rarities from 1963-1973)



SIDE 1.
THINGS GOT TO GET BETTER (Marva Whitney Lyn Collins & James Brown)
IF I HAD A MAN LIKE YOU (Shirley Jean & The Relations)
JUST AS SURE(AS YOU PLAY, YOU MUST PAY) (Dizzy Jones)
THERE WAS A TIME (The Dapps Featuring Alfred Ellis)
STAND UP AND BE COUNTED (The Flames)
YOUR SO SEXY (Hank Ballard Along With The Dapps)

SIDE 2.
DOIN' THE DOO (Bobby Byrd Featuring The JB's)
TUTTI FRUTTI (Lee Austin)
DADDY DON'T KNOW ABOUT SUGAR BEAR (Marva Whitney)
BABY, DON'T YOU KNOW (The Brownettes)
SOUL FOOD (Al "Brisco" Clark & His Orchestra)

This album contains a collection of songs not performed by J.B. on this record, and to be honest I'm not sure what some of them have to do with him. Tutti Frutti was a Little Richard song from the '50s and I don't recall ever hearing a version by Brown. In the liner notes he is credited as co-writing or performing in some capacity on various songs and apparently others appeared as B-Sides on some singles.

But, as the title hints at, this album is nothing but funk and that is just fine by me. Regardless of their connection with the late Mr. Brown, these songs make up a fairly solid collection of good old dancin' tunes. They have all of that original funk/soul goodness that got left behind in the later disco/funk mess. I don't know if it was the addition of keyboards or slap bass that I don't like, but something just doesn't feel the same about the later years of the funk genre.

I like this record because it gets me in a dancy mood and I now love it because it makes my daughter dance, and that's just good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment