Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Record a Week: Brian Borcherdt - Moth

So, it took me a long time to find information on this album. It was given to me for free at the Wavelength 10th(?) anniversary party as a freebie and there are no liner notes and scouring the internet did not produce any results at first (this post was originally littered with question marks in place of the title and song names, as I didn't think I'd be able to figure them out.)



SIDE 1.
GOODBYE VIBRATIONS
STILL WITH YOU
ME AND MARCUS

SIDE 2.
SAFE
MOTH
ME AND MARCUS (EDIT 2)

Brian Borcherdt is a former member of By Divine Right and current member of Holy F***. He expends his electronic creativity on Holy F*** and is left writing folky/acoustic/country solo material. This record has a blend of what sounds like some self-recorded clips and some studio work.

The record has hints of early Hayden and a few other artists like that, but it certainly is its own thing. It's a neat little EP and one that I didn't give much of a listen to at the time, but look forward to listening to it a bit more in depth now.

It feels like he may have written this album after a breakup, although I admit I am not familiar with his other work and it may just be his style.

It reminds me both of late 90's emo and of the Toronto music scene around the time of this records release, which makes sense as I imagine it draws from both of those things. All in all it's a short but interesting EP which I am interested in hearing more of and makes me curious to check out more material by him and also get back into Holy F***.

No comments:

Post a Comment