Saturday, July 24, 2010

A Record a Week: AC/DC - Back in Black

I managed to get both AC/DC records listened to before Karen returned, thus saving her from the 'noise pollution'.

Back in Black

Release in July, 1980 as a tribute to former lead singer Bon Scott (deceased 5 months prior to the release), Back in Black is AC/DC's best selling album to date and the second-best selling album of all time, behind only Thriller.

SIDE 1.
HELLS BELLS
SHOOT TO THRILL
WHAT DO YOU DO FOR MONEY HONEY
GIVING THE DOG A BONE
LET ME PUT MY LOVE INTO YOU

SIDE 2.
BACK IN BLACK
YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG
HAVE A DRINK ON ME
SHAKE YOUR LEG
ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION

Well, there you have it. I didn't have to look very far for an AC/DC record with 3 or more hit singles on it. Had I not been half asleep when I wrote that I would have realized that this record has 6, if not 7 commercially successful songs on it.

It just so happened that I went from a band that began just before the disco era to one that started during it, and brought on a mixture of hard rock and heavy metal. However, they have stated they do not consider themselves to be anything but rock and roll.

Right from the beginning this record made a statement. It pays tribute to Bon Scott, while saying that AC/DC wasn't done just yet. It starts with epic bell ringing and slow, powerful guitar on Hells Bells and finishes with a song declaring that rock and roll will never die. What lies between is the foundation for 30 years of Brian Johnson fronted rock music.

This record reminds me of a band I played guitar in during high school. During which I would watch my more talented bandmate play all the Angus young parts as I lagged about a half bar behind playing the Malcolm Young parts.

I like this album a good deal, but never listen to it because the local radio station overplays the hell out of most of these songs and my wife hates them. I was glad to revisit this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment