Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Record a Week: Abba - Greatest Hits

I went to the basement this morning, wondering which record was first on the shelf, brimming with much excitement to get this project started.

Well that was short lived. What I forgot is that like many people, I have my record collection alphabetized...which under normal circumstances can be very helpful.

Ergo, the first record I pulled out was this:

Greatest Hits


Before love songs came out as power ballads or pop-punk songs, ABBA was writing songs in a post-hippie style that held with them throughout the disco era. Released in 1975, this was their first 'Hits' album and was released years before they finished writing new material.

SIDE 1.
SOS
HE IS YOUR BROTHER
RING RING
ANOTHER TOWN ANOTHER TRAIN
HONEY HONEY
SO LONG
MAMMA MIA

SIDE 2.
I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO
PEOPLE NEED LOVE
WATERLOO
NINA PRETTY BALLERINA
BANG-A-BOOMERANG
DANCE (WHILE THE MUSIC STILL GOES ON)
FERNANDO

The whole album, as expected, had the same snap-your-fingers stuck-in-your-head-even-though-you-may-not-want-it-there style that made them famous worldwide. Although it's not my thing, I can see how the mass appeal that carried them through the 70s and their recent revival.

If I had to pick some favourites, I would say Mamma Mia and Fernando stick out. However, I feel it imperative to mention that my 2 month old daughter really liked Nina Pretty Ballerina.

No comments:

Post a Comment