Thursday, June 21, 2012

Random Movie Review: Straw Dogs

Straw Dogs (1971)
Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Susan George, Peter Vaughan
















I watched this one back-to-back with Mysterious Skin and I think it was a bit of an overdose on terror/suspense involving the rape vehicle.

This movie details two Americans who move to a town in England and face a group of locals who are bent on terrorizing them. At first it seems harmless, but it escalates quickly and  turns murderous (to say the least). Hoffman does a great job as the too-passive man that turns aggressive when the situation calls for it.  Out of all the Hoffman movies I have seen, this one ranks high if not highest of them. The supporting cast does a good job portraying a gang that is basically like a Clockwork Orange Lite.

On another note, isn't the name 'Peckinpah' the best last name? I sure think so. This is probably also the best of his work, now that I think about it.

This was from the era of story over effects and it is nice to see. I'll rate it a 7.5/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment