Sunday, June 3, 2012

Random Movie Review: Annie Hall

Annie Hall (1977)
Starring: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Tony Roberts
















Largely considered to be Allen's jump into the upper tier of comedic film directors. One scene(maybe more than one, I don't remember) feature a young Christopher Walken, who was, according to IMDB, billed as Christopher Wlaken). It's funny, because 50 years hasn't changed him one bit. He still talks the same and seemingly acts exactly the same in every role. Yet, many of us still love him (myself included). Another thing I found amusing is that When Alvy and Annie go to the movie theatre, the poster (and movie they're trying to see, I believe) is Persona, by Ingmar Bergman, director of Friday's movie Cries & Whispers.

I'm not an expert on movies from this era, but I'd guess it's one of the first to use the device of swimming between the scene and monologue for comedic effect. It's something he has ridden throughout his movie career. As with many of his films, this is loaded with sexual indulgence and self-loathing. A mostly auto-biographical career, from my understanding. It's a well he continues to tap, even though he has passedon his leading-role status to various actors (and maybe landed on an appropriate one in Owen Wilson).

I have a soft spot for Woody Allen films and it's nice to take a look at the one that got the ball rolling for him. I will give it a 7.5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment