Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Record a Week: Bryan Adams - Reckless

Bryan Adams - Reckless

Released in 1984, a year after his breakout Cuts Like a Knife, Reckless vaulted Adams into superstar status.

SIDE 1.
ONE NIGHT LOVE AFFAIR
SHE'S ONLY HAPPY WHEN SHE'S DANCIN'
RUN TO YOU
HEAVEN
SOMEBODY

SIDE 2.
SUMMER OF 69
KIDS WANNA ROCK
IT'S ONLY LOVE (W/ TINA TURNER)
LONG GONE
AIN'T GONNA CRY

Oh, the 80's. The hair, the denim, the stadium rock. It may not be quite as hard-hitting as AC/DC, but if you strip away the screechy vocals and replace them with raspy serenading and tone down the guitars a touch, the formula is the same. Big sounding drums, lots of guitar solos, group singing or chanting parts. This album was his identity for years and contains a mix of harder and softer hits. Mixing and mastering must have been a treat in the 80's. I don't think they had to add reverb on the individual tracks, they probably just added it to the entire mix at once. "Would you rather sound like you're playing in an arena, a stadium or a large hall?"

I don't really listen to Bryan Adams, but was surprised to see how many songs I knew the words to. I suppose it's not too shocking, considering I was only a year old when it came out and most of the songs make frequent appearances on every radio station that play in malls, stores and most places I've ever worked. When I first looked at the song list, I thought it might have been a 'Greatest Hits' album, because 90% of the songs I know by him are on here. I wouldn't reach to listen to this record, but I don't think I would change the station if One Night Love Affair or Heaven came on the radio. I most likely would also sing along if it was Summer of '69 or Run to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment