Monday, August 9, 2010

How to Confuse my Dog (Part I?)

This is my lovely dog Dexter. He is a good dog; he doesn't lick, he doesn't jump up unless prompted and he follows basic commands.

Dexter

The other day I was lying on the couch with the fam and he was sleeping in his usual spot on the chair. Suddenly he sparked awake and started growling. This usually happens in one of very few ways: there are other dogs or teenagers in the park behind the backyard (THAT'S MY PARK!); someone encroaches on him eating a special food (leftover foods or a special dog treat) or a dog tries to get his stick at the dog park. Now, apparently, you can add to the list the sound that happens when you lock the van.

I was typing something up on the laptop and everyone else was watching tv. I must have changed positions a little bit and rustled the contents of my pocket. This caused one of my other keys to press up against the van key (with remote locking controls). The lock-up function is accompanied by a 'beep beep' as an auditory assurance that your vehicle is locked as you're walking away.

Well, this did not sit well with Dexter. We couldn't hear the van repeatedly beeping and at first we thought maybe it was something in the park making him mad, but he walked towards the garage. He started growling and then barking. Eventually I figured it out and took my keys out and he calmed down. But then I thought I would try to see if he would get upset by the sound, or if he'd get used to it.

This lead to a cycle that went something like this:

Don't Let Sleeping Dogs Lie

Key

Hrumph

Key

Woof!

Wait...What?

Key

Woof!

Wait...What?

...and so on. I tried not too carry it on too long, because it was hurting his poor head, but it was pretty amusing while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment