Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Record a Week: Concerto Under the Stars by 101 Strings


SIDE 1.
THEME FROM CORNISH RHAPSODY
CLAIRE DE LUNE
CHOPIN'S STUDY IN E MAJOR
CHOPIN'S NOCTURNE

SIDE 2.
MEDITATION FROM THAIS
THEME FROM SWEDISH RHAPSODY
LIEBESTRAUM

I'm not quite sure what made me file this record where I did alphabetically, but I guess I thought the title was more of a collection than an album name by a band.

Anyhow, no point in dwelling any further on that.

This record comprises the best classical musicians of Europe in the late 1950's coming together to play a group of classic songs meant to simulate an evening of music underneath the stars. 30 first chair violins, 26 second chair, 20 violas, 18 cellos and 7 stand up basses make up the 101 strings, who play alongside various instruments to make up a formidable group. The reason for the large group of strings is to be able to play many different melodies in each arrangement, while not sacrificing the fullness of multiple players in each part.

The full effect is not felt on record, but I can only imagine it was breathtaking in a live setting. They have created a nice flow between the songs, the song selection is good and the playing is terrific.

Claire de Lune is one of my favourite classical songs and I really also enjoy the two Chopin selections on the first side. I always hear classical music in movies or the mall and enjoy it, but when I seek it out it's hard to find some I like. I would put this in the 'enjoyable' category.

No comments:

Post a Comment