Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Record a Week: Beach Boys - 20 Greatest Hits

Beach Boys Greatest Hits

SIDE 1.
SURFIN' U.S.A.
CALIFORNIA GIRLS
FUN, FUN, FUN
I GET AROUND
HELP ME RHONDA
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL
BARBARA ANN
SHUT DOWN
WENDY
LITTLE HONDA

SIDE 2.
LITTLE DEUCE COUP
SURFER GIRL
DO YOU WANNA DANCE
DANCE, DANCE, DANCE
WHEN I GROW UP
409
IN MY ROOM
DON'T WORRY BABY
SURFIN' SAFARI
CATCH A WAVE

You know, I've never really stopped to think about it, but as much as the Beach Boys are considered the ultimate in surf rock, they don't really look like surfers at all.

They were undoubtedly the kings of surf music, though. This album, as it is titled, contains all of your favourite Beach Boys tunes (Beach Boy tunes? Which is it?). I have to be honest, I think an instrumental version of this album would sound like two or three of the songs on repeat. I can't tell the musical difference between most of the tracks, other than the lyrics. They do invoke that signature 'wave' dance move.

If only we could all live on the beach and have fun, bleached-teeth-filled parties all the time. Alas, it is a nice break to throw on surfer music and go to Carolina in your mind. Wait, I think I'm confusing artists here.

No comments:

Post a Comment