Monday, September 9, 2013

A Record a Week: Lovin' Spoonful - The Best of Lovin' Spoonful Vol. 2

SIDE 1.
SIX O'CLOCK
DARLING BE HOME SOON
LOVIN' YOU
BOREDOM
FULL MEASURE
NASHVILLE CATS

SIDE 2.
SHE IS STILL A MYSTERY
RAIN ON THE ROOF
OLD FOLKS
DARLIN' COMPANION
MONEY
YOUNGER GENERATION




I think a lot of times the term 'Best Of' can be a misnomer. Did Lovin' Spoonful really warrant a second best of album? Only two of these songs cracked the top Ten (Rain on the Roof/Nashville Cats), neither of which cracked the top 5. The album has no Summer in the City or Do you Believe in Magic? I suppose there is some stuff I don't know about this band, not being alive in the late '60s, but it's my general opinion that artists that aren't The Beatles, The Stones or Michael Jackson probably don't need 2 best ofs.

With all that out of the way, this album is pretty decent. It sounds pretty much like everything you'd imagine if you've only heard those two songs I previously mentioned, which leaves you wanting for those two songs. To me, it was like listening to a new album by a band whose last album you knew very well. You want to feel the same way about it, but it just hasn't had the time to ingrain itself like the previous one.

Summer in the City is one of those songs that I always loved and tried to no avail to learn all the lyrics to. Well....tried in the sense that I try to memorize them as I hear them, not actually look them up and practice or anything. However, I always get tripped up after the first few lines, because I tend to focus on singing the ones I know, forgetting to ready my brain to try and intake new ones immediately after. By that point, I'm so far behind that there's no hope. Repeat Ad infinitum.

No comments:

Post a Comment