Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Record a Week: Sandy MacFarlane - The Weddin' O' Sandy Mackay

















SIDE 1.
THE WEDDIN' O' SANDY MACKAY
WHEN THE HEATHER BELLS ARE BLOOMING
MACNABS A JOLLY SAILOR
SERGEANT JOCK MCPHEE

SIDE 2.
HAME O' MINE
KATIE MCKAY
GRANNIE'S HIGHLAND HAME-PART 1
GRANNIE'S HIGHLAND HAME-PART 2

Right off the bat, this reminded me of The Log Roller's Waltz. I was tidying up the basement and not paying full attention, so I had to stop and move closer to the stereo to be sure it wasn't. After that song, it all sort of reminded me of the soundtrack to a remotely racist cartoon from the '60s or '50s. Have you checked out the original Casper show lately? Yeah, it's bad. Anyhow, if there was any notion of a leprechaun or faintly Irish character and this would be playing in the background for sure.

The light floaty sound of this style of Irish music is not something I'm going to pretend to know anything about. That's probably why it auto-jumped to such broad categories for me, so I'd have something to latch on to. However, I could tell that it was well performed and was enjoyable to listen to in a Dan Gibson kind of way.

Side note: did you know that googling 'Sandy MacKay' is as easy as googling a Mike Smith or Paul Lee.





No comments:

Post a Comment