Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Well, at least I know I was there.

The summer I was 17 years old, I was with my dad and a friend at the cottage. I say 'a friend', because for some reason, this is the part of the story that seems to be lost in the details. We told the story so many times with my friend 'B' that it became incorporated into the story. Then, a couple of summers ago, another friend, 'C', repeated the story to us with him there and that threw us for a loop.

Anyhow, I was hanging around my cottage with B/C one day being bored or just generally kicking around the sand, when my dad suggested that we go into town and find some girls to hang out with. I drove us in to Port Sydney, or perhaps it was Huntsville as we set out on this 'journey'. My dad swears up and down that we were back within twenty minutes, but I seem to remember searching the streets of whichever area we ended up going for a while. We may have even encountered and talked to a few people, but my memories of that part are hazy. Upon our return, my dad went on a tirade about how easily we had given up. "What the heck are you doing back here? Did you expect girls to be the first place you looked? And what good does coming back here for you? Do you expect girls to just fly in out of the air?"

Now, I'm not sure of the exact proximity of that comment to what happened next, but for the sake of the story, let's say that it was immediate. A hydroplane flew down and landed probably 500 metres away and two girls got out, climbed on the wing and began sunbathing. My dad turned to us and said "Well? What more do you want??"

We were all stunned. Hydroplanes do land on our lake from time to time, but I certainly had never (and haven't since) seen any girls sunbathing on the wings of one. The fact that it would have happened on the very day my dad said that specific thing is ridiculous.

(In case you are interested, we inspected the situation to see and they seemed about our age, but by the time we figured that out and made a motion towards canoeing out there, they packed up and flew away)

No comments:

Post a Comment