Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Record a Week: Joe Jackson - Jumpin' Jive



















SIDE 1.
JUMPIN' WITH SYMPHONY SID
JACK, YOU'RE DEAD
IS YOU OR IS YOU AIN'T MY BABY
WE THE CATS (Shall Hep Ya)
SAN FRANSISCO FAN
FIVE GUYS NAMED MOE

SIDE 2.
JUMPIN' JIVE
YOU RUN YOUR MOUTH (And I'll Run My Business)
WHAT'S THE USE OF GETTING SOBER (When You're Gonna Get Drunk Again)
YOU'RE MY MEAT
TUXEDO JUNCTION
HOW LONG MUST I WAIT FOR YOU


The first thing I think of when I think of Joe Jackson is Adam Carolla's constant rants about the current state of music and lots of 'when people are in my car and hear Joe Jackson they like it. Why does terrestrial radio pump this crap down our throats, why can't they expose us to more better music?'

Well, I certainly can say that the music on this record supports that statement. Now, I know radio stations have their 'must plays', but I don't know why they don't fill in the gaps a little better. I am lucky enough to have CBC Radio 2 playing good music most of the time I am in the car, but have definitely worked in locations that played rock stations or whatnot. All day long hearing the songs they must land on 10 times plus the same 15-20 filler songs, ugh.

The horn-swing style of this record may not fit in to most of those stations styles, but certainly is brimming with talent. It's really a record that makes you want to dance, or at the very least, snap your fingers. The only question I have is, why bury the lead? I know Joe Jackson did not write Jumpin' Jive, but if you are going to call the album that, why is it relegated to the 2nd side lead? Maybe the CD version is different, but that's not what I do now, is it.

This record was a real break from Jackson's otherwise New Wave/pop sound, spawning a change to a more Jazz influenced sound from there on.

It would be great background music for a cocktail party or other casual/semi-formal gathering with a touch of the drink, especially if anyone happens to be wearing a smoking jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment