Saturday, March 31, 2012

A Record a Week: Ronnie Hawkins - s/t



SIDE 1.
ONE MORE NIGHT (Dylan)
BITTER GREEN (Lightfoot)
I MAY NEVER GET TO HEAVEN (Buddy Killen & Bill Anderson)
WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN (Public Domain)
MATCHBOX (Carl Perkins)
LITTLE BIRD (Jerry Jeff Walker)

SIDE 2.
ONE TOO MANY MORNINGS (Dylan)
FORTY DAYS (Berry)
DOWN IN THE ALLEY (Solmon Burke, Bert Berns, Babe Marvin & Joseph C. Martin)
WHO DO YOU LOVE (Ellis McDaniel)
HOME FROM THE FOREST (Lightfoot)

This record contains covers of some of the most influential folk and rock artists over the years. Hawkins took the success of the band and parlayed it into a solo career. His skill in different styles of music shines through on this record. Not only does he do justice to the talent of the original artists, but also adds his own jazz/folk/country spin to the songs.

I hear his tribute to the original artists in his singing style, but I also hear a lot of Elvis Presley. Not all the time, but in a few of the songs, he seems to take a 'Can't help falling in love with you' approach in the vocals.

I just love this record, and this is coming from a person who isn't a Hawkins fan. I'm not not a Hawkins fan, I just haven't explored the catalog or heard enough to ever consider myself a fan. This record definitely gets the thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment