Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Record a Week: Fun Boy Three - Fun Boy Three



SIDE 1.
IT AIN'T WHAT YOU DO (w/ Bananarama)
THE TELEPHONE ALWAYS RINGS
WAY ON DOWN
THE LUNATICS
FUNRAMA 2 (w/ Bananarama)


SIDE 2.
BEST OF LUCK MATE
FAITH, HOPE AND CHARITY
LIFE IN GENERAL (LEWE IN ALGEMEEN)
I DON'T BELIEVE IT
ALONE (w/ Bananarama)
SANCTUARY (w/ Bananarama)

For some reason, I at one point had two copies of this album even though I had never heard of it. I know this, because when me and my old roommate began screenprinting, we used covers of albums I didn't know about or listen to as test prints (something I now wish I hadn't done).

This album is an interesting mix of things I didn't expect. Judging by the cover and the hairstyles donned on said cover, I thought it would be more along the lines of A-HA or Culture Club. While there were elements of that new-wave/electro/pop sound, there were definitely larger elements to the album that were pleasantly surprising. The majority of the album has an underlying African drum/bongo beat thing going on and combined with a funky beat, creates a real Dr. John feel. It was a bit of a musical cacophony, certainly more complex than what I had pictured going in.

On a technical note, the band only existed for a couple years ('81-'83) and released just this and one other record. The featuring of Bananarama on this record was what launched their career. I would say that, in the end, they may have got the better deal career-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment