Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Record a Week: The Faint - Mote/Dust



SIDE 1.
MOTE
VICTIM CONVENIENCE (Remixed by The Lack)

SIDE 2.
DUST (Feat. Bright Eyes)
THE PASSIVES (Spectated Wished remix by Psyrendust)

This 12" single contains two songs not found on any full-length albums, as well as two previous songs remixed. Most notable on this record is 'Dust' which features Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes, who was in the band in its inception, when they were known as Norman Bailer.

The sound that would become the core of The Faint is influenced by the industrial music of the 90's. However, they mix in a heavy dose of indie, pop and synth to create a sound that isn't exactly like any one of those styles.

Though this album is just a small sampling, I remember REALLY liking Blank-Wave Arcade and Danse Macabre when I was younger. It was a familiar sound with a fresh take all at the same time. I bought a ticket to see them play at Lee's Palace in Toronto just months before my 19th birthday. Lee's was a notorious (and still is I imagine) for IDing people at the door, so I was in a bit of a panic. I borrowed an old ID from a guy I went to school with that was an expired Nova Scotia license. It wasn't much to go on, but it was all I had. I had never really been all that interested in seeking out a fake ID, as I wasn't a huge drinker and didn't know the city all that well yet.

I overdid things completely, wearing sunglasses and having my hair over my face. Luckily, the bouncer must have been in a good mood, because he let me in after my lame story about just moving to town and not having my new Ontario License yet. Also luckily, I had checked the paper to see what sign the guy was in case that was a quiz question, which it turned out to be.

Anyhow the concert was good, but I sort of lost interest in the band not long after that. It was nice to hear them again and maybe I will throw a couple songs on my phone if I can track down the cds in my basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment