Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Record a Week: Beethoven Symphony No. 7 (Toscanini and the NBC Orchestra)



SIDE 1.
BAND 1 - FIRST MOVEMENT: POCO SOSTENUTO; VIVACE
BAND 2 - SECOND MOVEMENT: ALLEGRETTO

SIDE 2.
BAND 1 - THIRD MOVEMENT: PRESTO; PRESTO MENO ASSAI; PRESTO
BAND 2 - FOURTH MOVEMENT: ALLEGRO CON BRIO

Once again, I don't know enough about classical music to rate the performance of it by one orchestra or another. To see if I could spot any major differences, I listened to a few different versions and couldn't differentiate all that much.

The piece itself is considered to be one of his most complete symphonies. It has a very quick pace throughout, except for the second movement, which slows down a bit. The second movement is the most recognizable of the bunch, parts of it having been used in various movies, tv shows or commercials.

I am not usually not as big of a fan of classical music in major keys. However, the pace of this one keeps me interested and I think that the piece as a whole is quite well composed.

No comments:

Post a Comment